Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Who Wants Leftovers?...I Do, I Do!!!

When I came home from work today I was starving!  Starving as a person who ate rice, tofu and veggies for lunch can be.  Anyone who knows me can attest that I have the most ridiculously large appetite and a very high threshold for getting full.  This is not always a good thing because I have many mornings after a great meal or a pigging out night where I then realize I just shouldn't have done that!  That's when I put my runners on and hit the pavement!
I must say this blog could not be called the Paupers Kitchen if leftovers didn't appear in the menu once in a while.  Tonight, I just was so hungry I didn't have the patience to wait on a dish and if I didn't come up with someone quick I could have ravaged the entire fridge.  while I was taking things in and out of the fridge I even managed to scoop out the inside of a bun which later turned into a smart way to make what I made.
First off here is what you need:
Olive oil
Remember that gorgonzola from the other night...take that out
I had a left over veggie burger from the weekend
cherry tomatoes
spinach
cucumber
red onion
red sauce from Monday's dinner
and the half a bun with the scooped out centre that was also leftover from the weekend.
Take about 2 cups of the red sauce, pour it into a bowl and throw it in the micro for a couple of minutes.
Then take a little bit of olive oil, heat it in a frying pan and warm up your veggie burger.  Grab a generous helping of spinach and toss it on a plate, cut your cucs, red onion and tomatoes and throw that over the spinach and then cut up some cubed little chunks of the gorgonzola.  You only need a bit of this cheese as it is very rich and a little goes a long way in flavour.
I used a blue cheese dressing drizzled over this salad but obviously use whatever you want...I was feeling creamy.
Now, take your veggie burger and place it on the half bun that is scooped out. Pour your red sauce all over that until it is covered or as you like it.  If you have parmesan sprinkle that lightly over top and there you have it, all leftovers but one very very VERY satisfying meal.  I was actually stuffed!
Now, the scooped out bit of the bun...very important..this gave the sauce a chance to kind of cup under the burger for an extra saucy experience. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment