Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Small meals, muchos satisfaction Part 2

Okay, so I got your attention with the first part of this blog..great!
Although I am a raving fan of the wine I mentioned in the previous blog today I felt I need to challenge myself with food,wine tasting and with this blog.  I mean, I could give you a write up of what I eat for dinner every night, but the meals would generally stay the same, which is fine for me but it is time I step it up a bit and throw in some new dishes.
Today while I was at the LCBO I bought a wine from Portugal.  I ALWAYS buy from Argentina so I walked around and started to explore a bit.  The one I bought is La Casona De Castano.  I find it light, lovely and rich.  Although it is easy to sip back it is not lacking in flavour.  I probably wont buy it again but I am enjoying it while I have it.
For my Asian app today I made spring rolls, the uncooked kind with rice paper.  I had made these ages ago, when I was back in Uni and remembered how easy they were and versatile they could be.  You can put anything in them.  I was in the mood for something fresh, light and a different flavour than what I am used to cooking with, which is usually indian spices like curry and korma.  I went and picked up peanut sauce, carrots, spinach, sprouts, cucumber, avocado and limes.  I prepped all the veg, cutting the carrots and cucumber thinly, the avocado in wedges and the red onion that was in my fridge into slivers.  I opened a can of tuna and had the chunks on a plate.
The wraps are easy to work with, you soak them in warm water, one at a time for about 5 -10 secs then places them on a plate.  I then filled them with whatever I wanted.  I used;
carrots
cucumber
avocado
onion
sprouts
tuna
I alternated the tuna with the avocado, the wrap would have either or in it, not both.
Then I took a good dollop of the peanut sauce onto a plate cut my little wraps in half and viola!
It was filling, refreshing and completely satisfying.
I find a little trick for wrapping is fold the front over first and gather the filling underneath it.  Don't be afraid to work with the wrap in keeping your contents contained.  Then once you roll it over once, fold in your sides and keep going until the end.
Like I  mentioned these little wraps are great..you can fill them with tofu, seafood, chicken, beef, whatever with  whatever sauce you want, just have fun with the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment