Thursday, 8 March 2012

Brunch on the fly...

This is morning I lay in bed, on my day off contemplating what I will make for breakfast.  On the days I work it is very simple, muesli and rice milk and half a grapefruit.  On my days off I like to get a bit more savoury.  So today was a recipe from Jamie Oliver's Great Britain...this is a fabulous cook book by the way.  I have tried a number of recipes from it.  My initial complication with it was the weight conversion but courtesy of my lovely sister in law I have the Joy of Cooking which I use as a reference to almost every thing I do in the kitchen.  One day soon I will share with you a seriously no fail bread recipe!
Back to this recipe.  The one great thing about it is there is no "right" way to do it.  Add what you want, mix how you want, it is a great foundation for a spectacular omelette.  This morning, I took half a cheddar and herb bagel, now as I have recently learned you must pronounce the "h" on herb, it is just proper that way.  The bagel was a bit stale which is perfect for this recipe.  Cut the bagel into little chunks as if you were going to make croutons.  Then I grabbed a couple mushrooms, sliced some cooking onion and cut up some sharp white cheese.
Put a dollop of olive oil in your sauce pan and add the onions and mushrooms start getting them browned, about 2 minutes then add the cut up pieces of bread stir that all in for another 2 minutes.  The stove should be on high heat at this point.  I had some spinach that needed to be used up so I threw that in as well.  Then beat your eggs, add a little bit of water to make them fluffy and turn your stove heat down to medium.  Pour your eggs over the contents in the sauce pan.  Swirl the pan around a bit to make sure the egg covers everything.  Once the egg starts to cook along the edges use your spatula to move away from the edges to keep from sticking.  Then, once there is just a thin layer on the top of egg that still is not completely cooked place your cheese  on.  Take about a table spoon of water and lift up a corner of your omelette and pour that bit of water in the pan.  Cover with a lid immediately.  Turn off the stove and let it steam and cook the top for about another minute or so.  That is a little trick my Mum taught me.

Now you are ready to eat.  Grab that first coffee of the day and enjoy.
I had this for breakfast which was delightful but it was a bit too rich for me first thing in the morning.  I would prefer this kind of dish for brunch. Try it yourself and see what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment