Sunday, 18 March 2012

The Pauper's Rich Dish

Okay...this one you must try!
I came home from work Friday night needing a bit of luxury...and I mean in regards to gourmet.  All week its rice this and spinach that I wanted something that told me it was the weekend and it was time to indulge.
So what do I do...I call up my sister in law..she always has an idea and based on how I describe my mood she can describe the dish I am looking for.
It was gnocchi alla gorgonzola..Mmmm, my favourite.  The creaminess, the texture, the way that I know this is something I shouldn't have but have to have and of course lets not forget the red wine!
I popped into the LCBO to find that special bottle but I just went for the good ol'faithful...fuzion...the malbec shiraz.  Great price point at $7.45 and because I was splurging a bit on the gorgonzola I felt it was a good trade off.
Here is a list of the ingredients you need:
fresh gnocchi
gorgonzola
celery
garlic
250ml of whipping cream
pepper
onion (any kind)
olive oil
I would have loved to add pancetta as that would have definitely finished it off but my vegetarian tendencies kept me in line on this one.
So here is what you do, get a sauce pan and use a glob of olive oil.  Heat it up on med to high heat.  Have your onions and celery chopped and your garlic minced.  First toss in the onions and celery and saute in the pan until the onions are clear.  Then add the garlic.  Once it is fragrant add in the whipping cream and let it simmer to reduce it to a creamy texture.  I didn't let it reduce enough so make sure it is pretty ready with the consistency in the saucepan.  I had thought it would thicken up more once I took it off the heat but it didn't, at least not as much as I had thought it would.
Meanwhile, you are boiling the gnocchi until they all pop up in the water. Strain and set aside.
Once your creamy mixture is the consistency you desire add in your gorgonzola let it start to melt and then add in your gnocchi and glide it around in the pan allowing the gnocchi to get all lathered up in the cream sauce.
I had cut up a few slices of olive bread and had them waiting on the plate, ready to meet the cream sauce which it will soon start to soak up.
You will only need to stir in the gnocchi for a few seconds until it is all covered and looks absolutely yummo then pour it right onto your plate, sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and devour!  At least that is what I did.  Don't forget to chase this dish with your red vino.
An after thought would be to pour in about 1/4 of white wine if you have it on hand into the sauteing onions, celery and garlic...then add the whipping cream...I am going to try that next time!  This is definitely a winning dish to treat yourself to after a busy week and to start off a relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment