Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Small meals, muchos satisfaction Part 1

Today was my day off, I need to treasure these days as this is my last week having this luxury.  I start full time work on Monday!  I am very excited because this is just one of the many aspects of my life that have become complete over the last little while.  Let's just say I have been in transition and all the pieces are finally coming together.  Speaking of which, I went to pick up a VISA today for my travels to China in the summer.  It is through this experience today that I was inspired for an Asian influenced appetizer.
Firstly, I need mention something about breakfast first though.  I am moving in 5 days, so in result of this I have not been buying groceries and trying to eat everything I have so I am not lugging boxes of food.  I would far rather buy fresh groceries once I move in...it is a bit symbolic of a fresh start for me so that is my logic there.  The inventory of what was in my cupboard and fridge this morning is as follows:
hand full of spinach
5 cherry tomatoes
cube of gorgonzola
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
half a red onion
curry paste
maple syrup
garlic
wild and brown rice mix
2 cans of tuna
frozen pancake
peanut butter

You would be surprised how all that can go such a long way!! I could have easily made another 3 dinners and lunches with that!  What I did do for breakfast which is a great idea with kids and those who are on the go.  I made pancakes ages ago...now there is a bit of a secret to my pancakes which I will tell you at a later time but for now, I made these pancakes one morning and there were leftovers.  So I sealed them up real good and put them in the freezer, individually wrapped, don't forget.
Considering the list of food above, when I opened the freezer this morning trying to think of something for breakfast I spotted it, this frozen pancake and I was very thankful because I wasn't getting excited about the idea of tuna for breky.
I popped this little pancake in the toaster, heated up some of the maple syrup and once it was ready I spread some natural peanut butter on it and poured the warm syrup on top.  I was pleasantly  surprised at how delicious that was.  So, never throw out food, there is always a way to reuse it.  Lesson 1 for today.
As I transition into my Asian appetizer which is Part 2 to this segment I want to mention that the LCBO puts out a quarterly Food and Drink magazine.  It is a highlight to a new season for me.  I love getting this mag, it has great pairing suggestions as well as recipes for dinners, apps, snacks, desserts and last but NOT least drinks!
The mag is seasoned focused so when you feel like warming up in the fall you can bet there will be cinnamon spiced, pumpkin, cider inspired recipes.  I find spring is typically an Asian influenced menu in the mag, so looks like me and the LCBO were on the same page today.  What was really interesting was that as I flipped through I noticed a two page ad for this red wine from Argentina called La Posta, Cucina Tinto.  If you recall, I mentioned this find at the LCBO, I believe it was back  in February.  There wasn't even a price sticker up yet...I had never seen this before which was why I was so intrigued to buy it regardless of price.  When I got to the cashier, I swallowed hard as I don't usually spend 12.95 on a bottle of wine just for myself but it was so worth it.  And now, there is a crazy ad for it in the mag and when I went to the LCBO location today they had a feature in the center of the store with just this wine.  I mean, I HIGHLY recommend this wine, splurge, treat yourself, it is wonderful...you can easily get lost in its simplicity and depth.  The bottle is brilliant, the logo I love, it is just an outstanding wine from start to finish.  Check out the winery here!
Now, are you ready for the Asain app? Go to the next blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment