Wow...now this is a way to get your day started! I can not take any credit for this creation however. This comes directly from my foody sister in law who is my resource and reference to all my food and life questions. She is my go to for everything actually. Her food knowledge though...blows me away, so a good part of our phone conversations do revolve around the delicious meal she is preparing.
Typically on Sundays, my sister in law and I have coffee together. We live in different cities but I call her or she calls me and we each grab a morning coffee and chat.
This morning as we were winding up our conversation I asked if she had any breakfast suggestions that didn't involve bread. She began asking me what I had...so here is what this started with...eggs, old sharp cheese, spinach, onions, mushrooms ( if you have read the previous blogs you can start to tell what my staples are).Then she asked do you have tortilla chips? Actually yes I do. Do you have salsa? I have that as well. Okay so this is what you are going to she said...
Take a layer of chips, then heat some salsa in the micro and layer that on top of the chips. Then add your eggs and top it off with some cheese and cut up onion for texture. I was salivating just thinking of what this would taste like. Excited I got off the phone and ran down to the kitchen to get started.
Sometimes I feel I just get bored with the typical eggs and toast or eggs and tomato breakfast...I needed a spiced up way to have breky this morning so here it is...
Take a good handle full and a bit of tortilla ships and lay them on a plate. Heat the salsa in the micro for about 35 sec...set aside. I choose to do poached eggs so I started the pot of water and waited for it to be vigorously boiling before I put the eggs in. Usually I would add a dash of vinegar to the water because it is supposed to help keep the eggs together in the boiling water but I didn't have vinegar and so went with out. It still works.
I cracked my eggs into the boiling water, one at a time. Once I cracked the first one..I waited to make sure the water came back up to a full boil again before cracking in the other. I usually let them boil like that for 2 1/2 minutes. Then I strain them. Once you are at the point to take the eggs off the stove just before you do pour the salsa over the chips. You don't want them too soggy before it is time to actually eat. Strain the eggs and then place them on top of the salsa. Add some grated cheese for garnish and there you have it.
As an extra little thing, I have a toaster oven so I turned it onto broil and put my breky in there plate and all just to melt the cheese on top and warm it all a little bit together. This is not necessary I just thought I would try it and it did work nicely.
The eggs were still a little runny, just perfect! I broke the first egg with my fork and together with a bit of salsa and a chip tasted this delectable looking dish...it was absolutely astonishing what happened in my mouth. It was the right bit of crunch with the right bit of spice together with a familiar egg breakfast. I felt like I could be dining at some posh little brunch joint for a 1/4 of the cost and I was still in my pj's!
This is a must try...no questions about it. I now have a new favorite breakfast!

Just read your blog and love it! Great pix and great instructions. You are a natural for a food writer, especially the budget suggestions. Now if I could just get your dad to eat eggs and cheese at the same time...
ReplyDeleteKeep it up.