Wednesday, 29 February 2012

The Effortless Taste Sensation

For no other reason than I was completely exhausted by the end of my day today...I went straight up to my room and poured a glass of red wine...it was a rather large glass I might add.  Only then could I begin to ponder of what I would like for dinner.  It had to be quick easy and comforting.


Today was great at work, I had a project to work on and I felt productive for a good part of the day.  However, I also ended up talking with a boss of mine for an hour afterwards and also changed my day off from tomorrow to friday.  Which does work out great but I am a creature of routine and the slightest disruption can initially cause me some anxiety, maybe anxiety is too strong of a word but immediately I began thinking of what that meant for my night.  It quickly transitioned from a relaxing glass of wine, late dinner and a movie to a desperate glass of wine the quickest dinner I could fix and a sleeping pill because I now have to shower and catch up on emails before I hit the bed and relax before falling asleep.


The worst part of it might not seem bad to you, but it has become a challenge for me...this is the sleeping bit.  I feel better when I know I don't have to get up at a certain time in the morning because I am not sleeping well right now and last night was particularly awful so tonight I have to sleep good and that just puts a lot of pressure on the whole getting a good nights rest thing.


Even now, I feel rushed, I am half scarfing down my delicious dinner and typing and thinking of the various thinks I need to still accomplish tonight and will I have time before my 10 o'clock bedtime.  It is honestly ridiculous I know, none the less here I am.


So for dinner, once I got a couple of sips of vino in me...I first put on some rice, wild and brown rice mixed together.  I use 1 1/4 cup of water for 1/2 of rice and actually by mistake I forgot to turn the stove down once it had boiled and I added the rice and believe it or not the texture actually came out better!  This means boil the water...add the rice and let it boil for 11-12 minutes on a high heat.  Then, add a little dash of olive oil.  Let sit covered in the pot for about 5 minutes if you need to.


What I added to this seemingly plain rice was wonderful!  I took a good dollop of olive oil in a sauce pan and added about 2 table spoons of curry paste, have the stove on high heat and add about half a brick of cut up tofu in cubes.  Stir this all in, get the tofu covered in the paste and let it sizzle for about 2 minutes.  You will smell the aromas and when you do this is time to add the sauce.  It is a pre made sauce by Presidents Choice, it is a Korma sauce, blue menu.  I added about 1/2 cup of this and then mixed it with about 1/3 cup of water.  I then mixed all that in and added a good helping of frozen spinach.  Cover it and let it simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.  Once it is all heated together, take a good chunk of goat cheese and let that melt into the mixture.  When that is soft and blended in give it a good stir around and then you are ready to dish up!


Take half of the amount of rice and put it on your plate then add half of this yummy, saucy mixture and add it beside the rice.  I had some gluten free blue corn chips which I just put on the side and voila!  dinner is served.


The best part of this is that lunch is ready for tomorrow as well.  Take what is left over and put it in a tupperware ready to go!


There, two in one and when I put that first bite into my mouth, yes I felt better, I felt my shoulders drop as I savoured the moment and of course chased it with a sip of wine. Absolutely what I needed to finish off the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment