As promised, today I did groceries.
I would like to make a side note that this morning I was up at 5:50am, without my alarm...and it was my day off! Of course according to Murphy's Law that could not have happened yesterday when my alarm didn't go off and I was potentially going to be late for work on my third day at the job! Unreal!...now to the food topic.
I shop at two locations, one for my staples, so to speak, and my local organic food market for the fresh stuff. Depending on where you live, where I am, there is a store called the Great Canadian Superstore and that it is...GREAT! I am a very proud supporter of the Presidents Choice brand. If you are not familiar with it and are local I encourage you to check it out. If you, no matter where you are from, don't care then just skip over this next paragraph because I am going to get on my soap box and rave about it for a moment.
The PC brand is incredible...from basic food necessities to gourmet products and even clothes ( called Joe Fresh). I tend to buy the more basic stuff, but even in that there is a product called the Blue Menu which means these items are less sodium and geared towards more healthy eating. PC is the first brand that I look for in all my shopping, except for tuna. This I use Unico because I know it is dolphin friendly and it is packed in soybean oil which I just prefer. I am not familiar with the ethical background of PC tuna and how it is harvested but I have been using Unico for years so that's that. PC even has an organics section. It is definitely worth checking out if you haven't already. The quality and taste is never compromised and it is budget friendly!
Okay now...I did a bit bigger shop than usual just because I wanted to start really well stocked, my receipt at the grocery was $74 and the total cost at the organic market was $17. I am guestimating this should last me about 3 weeks with just a little fresh veg top up at the end of next week and of course I will let you know.
The market that I go to is fabulous. It is little and you grab a wooden basket when you walk in the door and go through the 2 aisles of produce and pick out your veg. They have kale, sweet potatoes and even avocados! I always get my spinach here, although...just as a quick tip...Jamie Oliver said that it is better to cook with frozen spinach than fresh actually and I have to say I have tested it and it is true. I always keep a package of frozen organic spinach in the freezer for just such occasions and use my fresh stuff for salads. I also always get my eggs there. These chickens are feed better than me! It is posted in the market what these little guys get fed and honestly it shocked me! Stuff like kale and spinach and wheat grass! Needless to say there is a definite taste difference. Over the past year and a half I have become increasingly picky with the types of food I eat. I have cut out meat entirely for various reasons but mainly because how most meat (at least meat that I can afford) is fed and raised. I do still eat fish however, so I guess I am not quite a true vegetarian. Anyways just a little FYI for you.
So my treasure today which was found at this little organic market, was the markets next compost addition...very, very ripe avocados. I bought some organic, gluten free blue corn crisps, which was part of my splurge today and when I saw these ripe avocados I was like score! I bought these avocados at discount and turned them into quite a lovely guacamole! What a perfect little treat for later...guac and chips Mmmmm.
So here is what I did...
3 very ripe avocados
2 again, very ripe vine tomatoes
1/4 of a red onion chopped
1 glove of Canadian garlic
I cut the avocados in half and a little trick I learned was to kind of slap the knife into the big pit in the middle and then slightly turn it...the pit will come right out. Don't through it out though..we will use it.
Once I did that I mixed the avocados in a bowl...not too much mixing yet just to get them sort of mushed together. Then add a couple sprinkles of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder and then your tomatoes, garlic and onion. Mix this all together till it is the consistency you want. I prefer my guac a bit on the chunky side. Then what you do is put the pits back in, just on top and pushed in a little and sprinkle again with some lemon juice. Cover it will plastic wrap...and push the plastic wrap right down to the guac and cover with a lid. I made mine in a tupperware, the plastic wrap just prevents air getting to it and it turning brown.
Let it sit in the fridge for a while too to let the flavours all combine and meet one anther. Tonight it will be that and a glass of red wine, courtesy of Argentina.
Hmmmm, now I am getting hungry after retelling all that...I think its time for a snack!

love the sounds of the gauc. Em! It sounds so easy to make too!
ReplyDeleteYou should be here sharing it with me! With our gluten free blue corn crisps!
ReplyDelete